Holidays and festivals are pretty common in the real world this time of year, from Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and many, many more. They have multiple different reasons for starting, with traditions and activities that are equally as varied.
This set of world-building prompts/questions is themed around the holidays and festivals that occur at, or around, the end of the year.
- Does the end of year period have a specific name?
- What period does the festival season cover?
- What are the main traditions & activities of this period?
- Are there specific rituals performed?
- Are there certain types of foods eaten or drinks consumed?
- Why was this festival/holiday started?
- Are there any mythological figures associated with this festival?
- What, if any, taboos are present during this holiday?
- Is this celebrated universally, or only by a certain group within the culture?
- How are those within the culture who don’t observe the holiday treated?
Bonus question – What are the regional variations of this season?
The on-going & growing list of world building prompts & questions can be found HERE.
What world-building topic would you like to see next time? Let me know in the comments below or on social media like Twitter.