This week I brought out a PDF relatworld-buildings, the summoned beings sometimes fey, infernal etc that help or keep an eye on those that summoned them. Originally this week’s world-building prompts/questions were going to be about familiars, but I could see right away how it could be expanded and tweaked into something suitable for more genres by making it about the supernatural instead.
- What are those who practice the supernatural arts called?
- What does the general public know about the supernatural?
- What is the most (in)famous tale, legend etc. connected to the supernatural?
- Is there a specific location associated with the supernatural in the same way that afterlives are associated with the divine etc?
- Are there locations known for where supernatural forces congregate and if so why there?
- Is there a “good” and “evil” side or is it dependent on how it is used?
- What, if any, ruling structure does the supernatural world have?
- Is there a group or organisation that keeps watch on, records, etc supernatural forces?
- What is the response when a supernatural entity runs amok?
- Are supernatural entities all the same type of being (in various forms) or are there variations and differences like in the mortal realm?
Bonus Question – Who is the most (in)famous supernatural entity known and why are they famous?
The ongoing & growing list of world building prompts & questions can be found HERE.
World Anvil gives you a series of tools, templates and prompts to help manage and build your world – See more HERE (Affiliate Link)
What world-building topic would you like to see next time? Let me know in the comments below or on social media like Twitter.